Introduction to the dynamic behavior characteristics of buildings. Calculating and understanding the Response Spectra. Seismic energy concept. Passive structural control methods. Types and operating mechanism of energy dissipating dampers and energy transfer devices. Structural inherent damping, metallic, friction, viscous and visco-elastic dampers. Seismic isolation and role of dampers/damping. Effects of energy dissipation dampers to structural seismic behavior. Damper design and distribution in a building. Retrofitting existing buildings with dampers.
1. To transfer current earthquake-resistant design approaches and the design principles to students,
2. To provide the students application oriented skills by the new approaches and the design principles.
1. Understanding the Response Spectra and seismic energy concept,
2. Learning passive structural control methods and types / operating mechanism of energy dissipating dampers,
3. Structural inherent damping concept,
4. Effects of energy dissipation dampers to structural seismic behavior,
5. Fundamentals of retrofitting existing buildings with dampers.